Graduate program mission & goals
The mission of the VCU Master of Science in Forensic Science Program is to prepare students for careers as forensic scientists in government and private forensic laboratories. In addition, students will be prepared to pursue further graduate and/or professional academic degrees.
Graduates will be able to:
- Apply basic principles and laboratory procedures of Biology and Chemistry to forensic evidence analysis.
- Demonstrate the capabilities, use, potential and limitations of forensic laboratory theory and techniques.
- Demonstrate an understanding of legal procedure and the rules of evidence.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional duties and responsibilities of the forensic scientist.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform, report and orally present independent research in an area of forensic science.